Sunday, June 3, 2012

El Take It Easy Pop-Up - Chef Diego Hernandez - San Diego

Last month Jorge and I were excited to spend the evening with good company, food and wine. If it weren't for our friends Kristin and Antonio of lifeandfoodblog.com we would never have known about this event. Located in North Park on 30th street you will find El Take It Easy, which is a Mexican wine country cuisine Restaurant. They have been doing a pop-up Baja Chef series and tonight it was Chef Diego Hernandez from Restaurant Corazon De Tierra in the Valle De Guadalupe which is in the center of the Mexican wine country. From what I hear it is an amazing place and we cannot wait to visit. We started off with a complimentary Michilada. If I am drinking beer there is always clamato in it. First up the palette cleanser, Amuse/ Seafood shot/ Sparkling Clamato/ Beer Foam. It had octopus and clam and we really enjoyed this shot! First course was Corozon de Tierra Garden Salad / Fennel Root / Fennel Bulb/ Turnip / Broccoli / Purple Cauliflower. He added Sunflower petals to the dish and crushed Chicharrones to top it off. This dish definitely gave me inspiration to use Chicharrones in my food for a flavorful crunch. Second course was Chocolate Clam Soup / Smoked Bread & Basil / Pork Belly. Well, The best thing me and Jorge agreed on was the bread. Pork belly was delish but I would have liked it a little crispy. The soup itself was way to strong in flavor for my taste but I know others enjoyed it. Third course, Local Black Cod / Turnip Puree / Fava Beans / Gremolata. The fish was fresh and juicy and I have never had vegetable ash before, it tastes exactly how it sounds. If you have never tried fava beans you must. Fourth course was Leg of Lamb Braised in Black Beans / Carrot / Radish / Arugula / Potato Puree. The flavors reminded me of a pot roast but unfortunately it was dry :/. Fifth course and my favorite was Platano macho/chocolate/saffron. The chocolate was as creamy as a truffle and the Platano complimented the creaminess very well! We had tasty wine from Mexico which I find hard to get here in San Diego. All in all it was a great evening out without our kiddos and cannot wait to see which baja chef is coming next. If you find it hard to travel to Mexico you should definitely keep your eye out for the next pop-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment