Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Centrico - New York City


One of my favorite shows on the Food Network is Chopped, and when I was researching my next food destination in The Big Apple I came across Centrico.  Chopped Judge Aaron Sanchez is Executive Chef and Owner of this Restaurant. We were in the mood for reasonably priced authentic Mexican food so we decided to give Centrico a shot. Turns out we were right! We decided to start off with Tres Salsas and Chips since every Mexican restaurant should first be judged by their salsa. Chipotle, Verde and a Habanero were up for tasting, I am not the biggest fan of chipotle sauce in general so we won’t go there but the other two were wonderful. We received another complimentary trio of Chunky salsas, Mango, Pineapple and Guacamole. So Yummy! For an Appetizer we tasted the Queso Fundido which is essentially a cheese casserole. This was baked with Chorizo and Potato and was scrumptious; the potatoes added a great surprise to the palette. You also have the option of a Poblano Queso Fundido which I will have to try next time; you really can’t go wrong with this dish. As for Entrees we had the Cochinita Pibil - Slow Roasted Pork, Achiote Ricado and Pickled Onions. Achiote ricado is an achiote seed paste; this plate was garnished with cactus and fried Platano which made it perfect in every way. Next was Birria Al Jalisco – Braised Short Ribs Jalisco style in an Ancho Chili Broth. Also great flavors coming out of this but the only down fall was the amount of fat on this piece of meat. After that was Bistec Con Chile Verdes - Adobo sirloin steak with cactus and rajas. Once again the flavors were bold, powerful and authentic. My son Jayden decided on a side of Black Beans and Rice which he loved. After enjoying a few cocktails and tasting some great food I really felt that we were closer to the border then we really were. And that melts my heart. I hope you guys enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. By far, best queso fundido I've ever had! The big chunks of chorizo made the dish. Awesome!!

    ReplyDelete